Veganism today has become more than just a fad or diet; it’s become a lifestyle for so many people. This way of living is now eons away from the original practice which was mostly geared to abstinence from consumption of animal products. Today, vegans do not only refuse the consumption of meat, but also refuse to patronize products which use animal byproducts and/or test on animals.
Since so many sushi lovers are have begun to embrace Veganism in their lives, we thought we’d show our support by giving you this taste bud tingling vegan sushi recipe.
- 2 cups Sushi Rice
- 2-3 Nori sheets
- 1 Avocado
- Tempura batter
- 12 oz. Firm Tofu, roughly diced
- 6 Tbsp chopped Scallions
- 3 Tbsp Tuong Ot Toi (garlic chili paste)
- 3 Tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Orange Zest
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- Ponzu for dipping (optional)
- Pre-heat your pan with 1/4 inch of oil to about 340°F.
- Take your diced tofu, and mix in with the Tuong Ot Toi, scallions, orange zest, and orange juice in a bowl. Set aside
- Take your avocado and slice in half, and then slice both halves into 1/4 inch strips. Set aside
- When the oil is ready, carefully dip the avocado slices into the tempura batter before gently sliding into the oil. Fry until the outer coating is golden and crisp on both sides. Remove excess oil with a paper towel, and then set aside the avocado tempura.
- Take your SushiQuik stand and white mat, and place the Nori on top of the mat.
- Take your training frame and secure it on top of the Nori.
- Spread the sushi rice evenly onto the space provided by the training frame
- Take off the frame and line your tofu mix and avocado tempura onto the rice. About 2 tempuras and 2 1/2 Tbsp of the tofu mixture should be enough. The important thing is that there is an equal amount of fillings from edge to edge of the Nori for equal flavor throughout the roll.
- Roll your sushi with the white mat.
- Once you reach the end of the roll, place it on a cutting board.
- Put the cutting guide over the roll to cut your sushi into 8 even slices.
Not sure how to make a tempura batter? No problem! Our Salmon Skin Roll Recipe has an easy-peasy recipe for it.
In case you need a refresher, here’s our guide for making The Perfect Sushi Rice.
Don’t know where to get the garlic chili sauce? vietworldkitchen has an amazing and fresh Tuong Ot Toi recipe!