Believe it or not, sushi isn’t just limited to rolls and nigiris. Remember the Temaki: Those amazingly easy to make sushi cones? There’s actually one more type of sushi that requires even less effort, but is every bit as delicious.
Also called Chirashi Sushi and literally translating to “scattered sushi”, the chirashizushi is basically a bowl of sushi rice with toppings of raw fish, vegetables, and/or garnishes. There’s really no set ingredients to make this bowl of mixed goodness; it’s really up to you, your locale, or (at times) the itamae or sushi chef. This scattered sushi is eaten annually during Hinamatsuri or Girls/Dolls Day in March.
Since there are no set ingredients for chirashi sushi, essentially, you can mix in, top, and garnish with anything your heart desires. But if you’re wondering what an authentic Hinamatsuri chirashi sushi tastes like, feel free to try this recipe:
How to Make Chirashizushi for Hinamatsuri
- 5 cooker cups Shari/Sushi Rice
- 10cm square Dashi Kombu (edible kelp)
- 2 cups Dashi stock
- 1 Carrot
- 1 medium-sized Cooked bamboo shoot in brine
- 1 medium-sized Burdock root
- 8 large Dried Shiitake mushrooms
- 1 medium-sized Lotus root
- 8 Eggs
- Katakuriko (trout lily)
- Snow peas (for garnish)
- Red pickled ginger (optional for garnish)
- Add kombu to the rice and cook. Mix in sushi vinegar and leave to rest for a minute, then mix well and cool the rice with a fan. Once cooled, place in solo bowls and set aside.
- -FILLING 1- Julienne the carrot into 3-4 cm lengths then place in a sauce pan and pour in enough dashi stock to submerge the carrots. Add a tablespoon of sugar and a pinch of salt, then let it simmer until the liquid evaporates. Set aside.
- -FILLING 2- Slice the bamboo shoots into 3 cm long batons, and then shred the burdock root. Saute together in a pan.
- -FILLING 3- Place the shiitake mushrooms in a sauce pan, pour in the remaining dashi stock, and add in 2 teaspoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of mirin, and 1 teaspoon of soy sauce. Heat until the dashi mixture evaporates. Set aside.
- -FILLING 4- Thinly slice the lotus root and cook in 1/3 cup of vinegar and 3 tablespoons of sugar until the liquid evaporates.
- Beat the eggs with 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 2 tablespoons of katakuriko powder dissolved in water. Make thin omelets with the mixture and slice into thin strips.
- Mix the sushi rice with fillings 1 through 4, and garnish with the omelet strips, snow peas, and pickled ginger.
If you need more tips in making the shari or sushi rice, check out our guide to The Perfect Sushi Rice.
Plan on making the chirashi sushi with raw fish? Make sure to be safe and follow our tips on Sushi Grade Fish and More!